Thursday, February 5, 2009

Gypsy Tea.

“Tell your fortune, lady?”

“No thanks, my dear. We don’t have much money to spare. But you look cold. Come in for a cup of tea and a rest.”

The young gypsy smiled, and said, “Oh thank you, thank you. Baby and I are so cold.”

I was very young at the time but I well remember the young gypsy with her long black hair, her golden ear rings, and her dark smiling face.

She followed my mother and me into our house. Mum said, “Sit here by the fire, and get warm.”

Mum looked at the little baby and said, “What a lovely baby!”

“Thank you. She’s my first, the first of many!”

They both laughed.

“Here’s your tea and take a slab of cake to fill you up,” Mum smiled.

Mum and the young Gypsy had several cups of tea and a friendly chat for half an hour or so.

Then the young Gypsy said:“You’re so kind. I must go now. But before I go, I want you to have these clothes pegs I carved. Think of me and my baby when you hang out your clothes to dry. I’ll never forget your kindness: the tea, slabs of cake and your warm fire.”

“Thank you so much, my dear,” said my mother. She gave the young gypsy a hug.

It doesn’t take much for people to be kind to each other, does it?
_____________________________________________

Even though I was very small at the time, I remember those far off days. The world was in crisis, like it is now. Jobs were scarce, money was scarce but kindness, as always, was so very valuable.
_____________________________________________

If I can help somebody
Who’s feeling low.
If I can help somebody
When everyone says, No.
If I can help somebody
And make their lives aglow.
Then my living
Will not be in vain
______________________________________

We wrote the words above based on an old song.

You may like to listen to the original words of the
song on You Tube.“If I can help somebody” by .
A. Bazel Androzzo, © 1945

Glenn Payne sings the original tune on You Tube.
_____________________________________

If I Can Help Somebody
A. Bazel Androzzo, © 194
5



If I can help somebody as I pass along,

If I can cheer somebody with a word or song,
If I can show somebody who’s trav’ling wrong,
Then my living shall not be in vain.

Then my living shall not be in vain,
Then my living shall not be in vain;
If I can help somebody as I pass along,
Then my living shall not be in vain.
_________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment