Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Irish Smiles

“I had a lovely time in Ireland. I grew to love it: the green fields; fishing boats; hundreds of lakes and lots of jokes,” said Jack.

Joan said, “I’m glad you had a good vacation. While you were away, I found these Irish sayings on the Internet.”

It’s the quiet pigs that eat the meal.
Little is best if well done.
A beetle recognizes another beetle
Beware of the anger of a patient man.

Many a time, a man's mouth broke his nose.

An empty sack won't stand.
An awkward colt often becomes a beautiful horse.

A windy day is no day for thatching.

Jack laughed, and said, “Let’s work out what they mean….for fun.”

“Yes, let’s,” said Joan.

“Oh, there’s one Irish verse I really like, Jack. Here it is….:”

“May the road rise up to meet you,

May the wind be ever at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face
And the rain fall softly on your fields.

And until we meet again,

May God hold you in the hollow of his hand.”

Jack said, “I think I heard that being sung in a concert I went to in Armagh, Ireland. It’s such a happy song – full of pictures.I felt so good when I heard it”
________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment